Saturday, July 3, 2010

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 Kelowna and Wine










Start the day with a teleconference regarding some archaeological (cultural resources) work in San Antonio, Texas. It was good to "talk business" a little. Keeps me grounded. And thanks, Jeremy, for keeping everything succinct and sticking closely to the agenda so that I was back into vacation mode in short order. Don't want to live in reality for too long :-). When I drove into the Okanagan Valley from the west, my jaw dropped when I came round a curve and saw Okanagan Lake. I think it's ~80 miles long and generally follows the form of the valley and is clean, pristine, and fabulous. Kelowna sits at the approximate center of the lake, mostly on the east side of the lake but looks to have recently spread to the west side as well. The whole valley/lake looks like it was uprooted from the Mediterranean and whonked down in southern BC. It's warm, dry, sandy - saw several cactus species - enigmatic. Mountains on both edges of the valley (you're rarely out of sight of a mountain in BC)keep the whole setting cozily confined. I grab a lunch to go and motor to the Kelowna City Park which is on the south side of the bridge across the lake that funnels you into Kelowna off Hwy 97. This beautiful park sits at lake's edge. First 4 pics were shot from my park bench on the sea wall and give you an overview of the area. And just let me say a word about public spaces. If this lake/park abutted Houston, it would be full of garbage with detritus and dead animals and beer cans washing on shore. The smell would knock you back a quarter mile. There would likely be so much litter and filth in the park that you wouldn't let go of your child's hand for fear he'd stumble over a crack pipe or catch a disease. There was no litter here. None. People here (and in Canada in general) respect their environment. Trash goes into a trash bin - actually there will likely be three bins. One for aluminum cans, one for plastic such as water bottles, and one for garbage. Everyone here recycles madly. Haven't seen a landfill yet - I'm sure they exist, but I believe the conscientous recycling and minimal use of manmade products (plastic grocery bags for example) likely keeps them to a minimum. OK, I'm done with that diatribe. So I have my lunch on a peaceful park bench looking out over the water while I people watch and take the sun and revel in the cool breeze coming off the lake. I read Margaret Atwood and wish that she could get some time in sunny Kelowna for attitude adjustment - wow this novel is dark - fascinating but dark. I also get out my guide book that lists lots of wineries in the area - the valley is famous for it's vineyards and all sort of other agricultural endeavors. BTW you can’t tune in a TV or radio channel at the moment without hearing news of the Queen’s visit in honor of Canada Day tomorrow. Everyone in the country seems really stoked. Not a lot of people know it but my family and the royal family are pretty tight. After some of the C Day festivities tomorrow, the queen and I are gonna hit the paintball field. The old girl’s a pretty good shot, but I usually take her 2 out of 3. Anyway, there are so many wineries to choose from that I hardly know where to start. I decide on one at the south end of town but on the west side of the lake since I haven’t been west of the lake yet. And another quite a way out of town to the north that will allow me to drive along a road above the river for a span and get a good view of several vineyards besides the one that’s my destination. Southern locale is the Quail’s Gate winery that sits on a bluff high above the west side of the river with its vineyards below on the slopes. Two pics. Tasted several vintages, including an ice wine. I’ve been really curious about these ice wines I’ve read so much about. Apparently, some grapes are left on the vine late and allowed to freeze which greatly reduces the water content of the grape and yields an almost syrupy pressing. Very sweet – dessert wine. Really delicious and very expensive. Bought a bottle of their yummy Gewurztraminer. Sat on the back patio for a while, took more sun, and marveled that this setting could be in the same province as Tofino. Really big province. Slowly drove north along the river road and just took in the scenery. Ended up at the Gray Monk winery which sits high above the east side of the lake. Again, with seemingly endless rows of vines occupying the slopes to the lake. Participated in a rather long tasting that was educational and fun. Bought a bottle of their 07 Merlot that I thought was wonderful. Maybe I’ll get home with that one. Maybe not. Three pics from Gray Monk included. Continued a little farther north to Vernon to find cheap lodging outside of the big city and get lots of sleep so that I’ll be ready for tomorrow – Canada Day. Eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment