Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 The Icefields Parkway

I will spend this day on the Icefields Parkway, traveling north from Banff to Jasper. It's only a three hour trip down the Parkway if you don't stop, but you will stop again and again. In fact, you could make an entire vacation on the Parkway, camping, hiking, wildlife watching, walking on glaciers. I don't even know where to start with descriptions of what I saw so I'll mostly let the pictures do the talking. Oh yes, the first two pics are parting shots of the town of Banff. While I can't say enough good things about Banff National Park, you can have the town of Banff. It's just one expensive shop after the next pub - shopper's paradise I guess. Not for me. As I started down the Parkway, I became almost overwhelmed by the scenery. Started snapping pics of everythihg - through the windshield, from the side of the road, over my shoulder. Right quick I realized that I would still be on the road next week if I didn't "triage" the photo ops. The next 3 pics are random shots of peaks and ridges and glaciers that were taken at the start of the journey before I became more selective so I don't even have names for them. Isn't the terrain amazing? Next pic is of the Crowfoot Glacier followed by a random shot of an unidentified lake with peak in background followed by a random shot of a glacier with me in foreground. Next shot is Bow Summit then a pic of Peyto Glacier and one of Peyto Lake which is fed by Peyto Glacier. The glacier and lake combo here is, in my opinion, the most scenic spot on Earth - not that I've seen the entire Earth, but it's gotta be in the top 10. Next shot is Mt. Amery, on more really impressive peak. Just past Mt. Amery I rolled up on a bear jam. Cars were parked all over both sides of the Parkway cause someone had spotted a busy black bear foraging across the Alexandra River. I watched for a very long time through binoculars as he was moving along the riverbank digging madly - for roots, I think. He was rather far away so the two bear pics are not so great, but you can get an idea of their size against the natural backdrop. I had been regretting not seeing one while hiking, but after I saw the size and power of this one, I decided that across a river on the side of the road next to my car is about the distance at which they should be viewed. Next shot is Bridal Veil Falls and a falls was never so aptly named. Then a shot out the front windshield as I'm approaching the Athabasca Glacier that shows a series of small glaciers visible from the Parkway. The next 5 pics relate to the Athabasca Glacier. You can take a "snowcoach" (red and white monster vehicle) ride onto the glacier itself and actually get out and walk around a bit - limited area so you don't wander off and fall down a fissure to an icy death. As the snowcoach drives down off the road onto the glacier you're at about a 45 degree angle and it's all you can do to stay in your seat. The Athabasca Glacier flows out of the Columbia Ice Field (visible above the glacier) and sits in a mountainous bowl. There are also several other glaciers sitting in hanging valleys that are visible as the snowcoach makes its way to and from the Athabasca Glacier. It's kinda pricy to take the coach but so worth it - an experience that I'll never forget. Next photo is Sunwapta Falls. There's a pull-off spot and a short hike takes you to viewing points very close to the falls where the roar of the water is almost deafening. Short video included at the end. Happened upon a goat jam where a herd of goats had found some particularly tasty dirt on the side of the Parkway. Everyone was pulling off to watch the spectacle. It's a miracle no one gets killed at these ad hoc parking lots, but everyone takes care to park so they don't block the road or other cars, and it just works out. The goats were apparently getting a much needed dose of minerals from the dirt and seemed to be oblivious to the tourists snapping away. Last two shots are at Athabasca Falls. Lodging at a hostel in a beautiful setting on the outskirts of Jasper.

No comments:

Post a Comment