Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thursday, July 8, 2010 Jasper/Miette Hot Springs/Whistler's Mountain Gondola

The Jasper Hostel doesn't have internet service so I drive into town and find a breakfast joint that does and have the best Western omelet ever while I check e-mail, blog a bit, and decide what I'm going to do for the day. The guide book recommends the Miette Hot Springs which is about a 45 minute drive out of Jasper. The book says the Springs are wonderful and that the drive out can provide some stunning scenery and excellent wildlife viewing. The book also says that all visitors to Jasper should take the gondola to the top of Whistler's Mountain and be sure to take an evening ride that includes dinner at the restaurant at the top. You have to reserve for dinner so I motor out to the gondola (it's only a few blocks from the hostel) and make arrangements, pull back through the hostel for a bathing suit, and, tally ho, I'm off to the Springs. If you've kept up with my exploits, you may note that this is the 3rd hot spring I've graced. Most places I could not care less about sitting in hot water as my skin shrivels and my core temperature climbs dangerously. But there's something about doing it under an Easter egg blue sky, surrounded by fir trees that are surrounded by snow-capped mountain peaks. I really dig it. And aside from hiking it's the cheapest activity that I've found to date in Canada. Those guide book folks are so right on so often. The drive is beautiful (couple of random terrain shots) and then I come upon an elk jam. Three enormous bull elk are grazing on the side of the road. There are dozens of people watching and photographing and the elk are oblivious. They just forage on, crossing from one side of the road to the other at will. Even the eighteen wheelers allow them passage, after all we're in their house, and they seem to trust that no one will do them harm. I was fascinated and must have spent an hour watching them and taking pics and video. Several photos and a short video clip included. I've got loads more pics if these aren't enough for ya so lemme know if I can send you some under seperate cover. The next to last elk photo has me in the foreground laughing like a hyena. I think the absurdity of the whole scene got to me and I couldn't stop laughing. I mean I really went simple right there on the side of the road. I asked another tourist to photo me with the boys and we both got laughing so hard that the other tourists got nervous and sidled away. Finally collected myself and got on down the road to the Springs. Next shot is a close up of some lovely purple wildflowers that were growing in small clusters along the side of the road. The thing I noticed about wildflowers in this high altitude part of the world is that they don't show up en masse very often. I think the climate is just too harsh. A few hardy colorful souls pop up occasionally in subtle clusters or singles and are much appreciated against the backdrop of green firs and gray rocks. As the road climbs to the Springs there are numerous pull off viewing spots and I include a pic of Ashlar Ridge shot from one such locale. The Springs are fabulous! Again, the contrast of the very warm mineral water and the cool dry air is exhilirating. Dunk a while, sun a while, burn a bit (the sun will get you right quick at this altitude). The guy taking the water next to me is a retired Canadian truck driver (originally from Nova Scotia) who used to haul boats for Glastron out of Austin to points north. He recognizes my accent and we discuss points of common interest along his route in Texas. And he explains the high price of Canadian gas to me. "It's the damn greedy government and their tax grab." I think that's almost word for word. He laments that he can't have the beauty of Canada combined with the price of goods and services in Texas. I, too, have noticed that you can't have it all. Several pics of the Springs included. Can you get over the color of the sky? Me neither. When I get to the parking lot, I find mountain goats have made their daily pilgrimage down to the realm of the humans to check for leftovers. Another goat pic included. Back to the hostel to tidy up for the tram ride and dinner at the top of the world - well pretty high up anyway. Next pic is the view from the tram loading area followed by a pic of one of the tram cars, followed by a view of a car ascending. Next few pics are views from the top and views out the window during dinner. Note the town of Jasper in the valley below. How bout that dinner panorama? The last pic is a long distance shot of snowcapped Mt. Robson, highest peak in the Rockies. It's a very popular vacation destination in and of itself but just too far off my route. Next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment