Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Saturday, July 3. 2010 Yoho National Park







Wake up a little sore from the 8 kilometer Sir Donald Trail hike, loll in bed a little, then make my way to Yoho National Park. Stop at the park visitor center in Field and get lots of good advice and brochures from the attendant. She says Takakkaw Falls should be my first destination and that I should also not miss Emerald Lake and the Natural Bridge. Takakkaw Falls it is, but on my way I stop at Kicking Horse Campground to reserve a tent spot for the night. I note that there will be an educational program on the wolverine at the camp theater that evening and I resolve to make that (poster pic). The road up to the falls is very steep, winding, and includes two switchbacks that scared the bejeeberz out of me. When I arrive in the parking lot, there are several greyhound type tour buses parked there. They must have been air-lifted in. And the falls are jaw-dropping amazing! They're the second highest falls in BC and feed into the Yoho River. I hike up as far as I can comfortably go - the maintained trail ends and you just have to pick your way among the slippery lichen covered rocks - and take pics along the way (few included). Braved the switchbacks again and headed to the Natural Bridge. On the way, I spot two doe elk foraging not too far off the road and stop to watch. They're grazing in a clearing, and I get out the binoculars and watch until I have red circles around my eyes One of them went to a snow patch and ate snow for a while. Pics included. On to Natural Bridge which is a rock formation that was originally a waterfall but the rock has been worn and dissolved away to form a bridge on the Kicking Horse River. Short video included, but I filmed in portrait and can't figure out how to rotate so you'll have to put your head at a 90 degree angle or rotate your screen or something to view this Academy Award winning clip. Next stop Emerald Lake. I take the 5 kilometer plus hike around the lake and ooh and aah at every turn. Turns out that the emerald green color of the lake is due to glacial rock flour that washes into the lake and causes the greens to reflecct. Whatever the scientific basis, the effect is stunning. From afar the entire lake looks the most beautiful opaque shade of green, but up close you can see right through the water to the gravel bottom in the shallows. (Pics) I return to the campground within the park and intend to erect the tent but I'm just too tired so I decide on another night in the van. My campsite is walking distance to the outdoor theatre where the Wolverine presentation will occur so I amble down and find a comfy spot on the split log benches. A park interpreter gives a very entertaining and informative presentation about Canada's most rare, elusive and least understood creature. Her presentation was given in skit form and geared to keep children interested so I was mesmerized. Truly funny. Pics of a stuffed wolverine (found dead in the park) and the interpreter included. She's the blonde. Tonight I'm one tired but happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment