Friday, June 11, 2010

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 Pike National Forest, Colorado



Up early. Flew through Raton Pass, New Mexico, into Colorado and found the Pike National Forest, near Colorado Springs, and a lovely little trailhead into Waldo Canyon not far off I-25 (easy off, easy on :-). Very different flora and geology (and temp) from Palo Duro Canyon where I hiked yesterday. Threw a Clif bar and camel pack into my backpack and headed up this ~6 mile RT trail. Blown away by the clear, cool, pine scented air. Peering about in Houston is like looking through dirty glass by comparison. So many different firs but the Blue Spruce is my favorite, beautiful contrast of it's striking blue color against the pink granite, the predominant rock in the area. The granite is reminiscent of the Texas hill country pink granite. Nature has strewn about huge granite boulders (first pic above)just to keep the trail placement interesting :-). Ground squirrels everywhere, screeching and burbling, chasing each other and rolling about for my viewing pleasure. A bird in low underbrush came close to the trail, lowered a wing to appear injured, and tried to lure me away from her nest, but I wasn't fooled. I've never seen that maneuver up close. Got a little free-form and took a side trail that sent me into adjoining Williams Canyon so by the time I trekked back to the van, I figure my 6 mile hike was more like 12 to 14 miles. Oh yes, I have new hiking boots. One monster blister and a badly bruised toe. No hiking for Porter tomorrow :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment