Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 Vancouver Day 2

















I've been looking forward to spending time in the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia for as long as I've known about its existence. I set out early under a very overcast sky to make my way to the campus. I encountered Kitsilano Beach Park en route and swerved in briefly to observe Vancouverites in the surf on a "balmy" 56 degree morning. These are a resolute people in their bond with nature and the sea. The beach and park are lovely (pic) and I resolved to spend time there - when the weather warms up about 30 degrees. The Museum is all I hoped for, so much more than any guide book can convey, and I spent hours soaking it in. Happy! Happy! The largest part of the collection is devoted to the art of the west coast and coastal island First Nations peoples. I think everyone thinks of totem poles when they think of NW North American aboriginal art, but that's only the tip of the ice berg. Second pic is the first totem that I came across. No paint, massive, dark, brooding, powerful. It sorta grabbed me. More totems. Even more totems. Other forms of art on display but less commonly known are funerary boxes (pic) and massive house dishes which are actually used for serving food at commemorative feasts and such occasions. One house dish (pic) consists of 3 dishes on wheels which are connected like train cars. Pic 7 shows some individual house dishes with accompanying massive serving spoons. Amazing all!! I think the huge bear carving was my absolute favorite (pic 8) piece. The museum also houses a fantastic collection of art from the Micronesian Islands. If you have the great good fortune to be in Vancouver, please put this museum on your agenda.
Spent the afternoon in Harbour Centre on the observation deck getting a look at Vancouver and the surrounding environs. You move in circular fashion around the deck and placards at each viewing location describe the view. It's so well done that you come away not only able to identify most of the Vancouver landmarks but also having learned a great deal about the area history. Pictured is BC Place Stadium where 2010 Winter Olympic ceremonies and events took place. Notice the roof is missing - the air supported roof is being replaced with a retractable roof. Last pic is Canada Place, maybe Vancouver's most easily recognized landmark. Tomorrow Stanley Park.
.




1 comment:

  1. Hope you are having a blast, sounds like you are!! Will you get to Victoria? I know I mentioned Butchart Gardens, but if you get into Victoria, try to go to the Empress hotel for high tea. It's a neat experience and one we didn't get to have when we went to London 20 years ago (can you believe it has been that long?) Jennifer Shilen reminded me that we had gone in 1990 and I had hurt my ankle at that time as well. I know high tea is kind of not the type of experience you are going for, but might be neat. Enjoying reading your blogs and mom came over today to bring me some figs so I showed her your blogsite and I think it was comforting to her to know that there is a way to keep up with you!

    ReplyDelete