Monday, June 21, 2010

Sunday, June 20, 2010 Victoria










The day is lovely - very sunny and warm for Vancouver Island. A good night's sleep and I'm feeling more kindly disposed toward Victoria. I take my time dressing and spiff up as best I can cause today I'm going to have tea at noon at the Empress Hotel. This is largely to prove to my mother that she did not go entirely wrong with my upbringing and that I am capable of cleaning up nicely and behaving like a lady. First photo is of me in the stately surroundings of the Empress having aforementioned tea. Second is of the facade of this beautiful, historic hotel. Actually staying at the Empress was most certainly not on my modest budget for this trip, but I can tell you that as soon as I get home I'm going to lay on the floor and kick and scream and hold my breath until I get a proper trip to Victoria which will include lodging at the Empress. Heads up CP! Seriously, tea was a wonderful experience. Lovely food, amazing service, and background music performed by a very good a capella choir from Liberty High School in Brentwood, California. After tea, I perambulated Victoria Harbour and a fine perambulation it was. Third pic is a shot into the harbour. It was Aboriginal Day and I watched a First Nation group performing traditional drumming for a while. Very moving. Photo 4 is of a carved mask on display at the festivities. The street buskers were out in force - singers, magicians, acrobats, mimes - those unusual kind of mimes that stand like statues until you plunk a coin in the bucket and then they entertain you. See two pics of me and a bronze "statue" of a cowgirl (before and after coin) - she was the best I've ever seen. But what a way to make a living. The imposing building in photo 7 is the BC Parliament Building across the street from the harbour. Last (and longest) activity of the day is a visit to the BC Royal Museum where I concentrate my efforts on the third floor which houses The First People's Exhibit. Another not to be missed locale if you have any interest in First Nation's culture, cultural history, First Nation's art, Canadian history. I tried to take some photos of the fantastic exhibits but the lighting was very subdued and flash photography was not allowed so hardly any pics turned out useful. I include a photo of a reproduction of a pit house and some authentic masks that came out OK. Then headed north along Canada 1 to Nanaimo for the evening. Just getting to drive Canada 1 is worth the trip to the island. Sites and activities in Central Vancouver Island on the agenda for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment